The 3rd country with most Heritage sites in world after Italy and China is Spain with over 44 recognized heritage sites. Madrid is the lively European capital, which is full of life and culture. Madrid offers world-class museums all at walking distance, a palace, lush green gardens and not to forget the delicious and finger licking good food.
The rich heritage and culture of Madrid is a total win among tourists. Madrid has many medieval and historic building, which tells the tales of back in time.
It also houses museums, sculptures and monuments. Few famous tourist attractions one must try are:
• Royal Palace: Its Architecture is inspired by Versailles. Looking over to luxuriant gardens, its completely made up of granite and white colmenar stone which gives it a Spanish touch. Its attractive interiors, sculptures and statues make it a famous tourist space
• Plaza Mayor which gives us a classic 17th century aura
• Puerta del Sol it is the most lknown centre square of the city and embraces many shops and cafes. It’s a lively place and peoples come here to enjoy lives.
• Buen Retiro Park Best option to escape from the hustle bustle of busy city lives. The most amazing part of this park is its greenery and the crystal Place which has a charming fountain.
Quick tip: A pastry shop near Retiro Park, Pastelería Vait that offers great variety of cookies, cakes and chocolates. Tourists can indulge into sweet tooth gifts for their friends and family.
• Prado Museum Consists of exceptional collection of 12th century and 19th century Spanish paintings, which are a total treat to eyes. It’s the home of masterpiece work by Prado, Las Meninas
• Museo Thyssen-Bornemisza: Fine Arts Museum
• Centro de Arte de Reina Sofía: Contemporary Art Museum
• San Antonio de la Florida A holy site, along the Manzanares River bank. Every year this church hosts an annual festival, in honor of saint Anthony of Padua
• Fuente de Cibeles A famous fountain statue, of a Roman goddess riding a Lion Chariot
• Temple of Debod situated in La Montaña Park it’s the most astounding monument of Madrid
• Puerta de Alcalá
• Museo Sorolla an art gallery of beautiful paintings and drawings by very famous Spanish artist Joaquín Sorolla
The best part about Madrid is that you can explore more than half the city by walking, as most of the tourist places are close enough to each other. So, no tension of spending extra bucks for travelling.
Madrid modernized itself from 19th century and build contemporary neighborhoods and monuments that resulted in the birth of new neighborhood such as of Salamanca, Chamberi and Arguelles.
Though the climate might not be as pleasing but if you are nature and food lover then you should surely plan to visit Madrid. As Madrid is a very green city, and has been named as second highest city with most number of trees. Within few minutes of walk, one can access to green area or a garden. It’s an environment and tourist friendly country. And in the matter of food, Madrid is quickly growing with great speed, the regional Spanish cuisines are being given a makeover into something more appealing so that tourist can enjoy them without any hesitation. The classic dishes of Madrid that every tourist must try are cocido, (served with vegetable stew) and calamari sandwiches. From old restaurants, to modernize cafes being available on every nook and corner of Madrid, it surely is becoming a food paradise for tourists.
The culture of Brunch is quite famous in Madrid. The city people have lunch mainly at 2 pm and even restaurants typically open at 1.30 or so in the afternoon and closes around 4 pm. The dinner at restaurants starts at 8pm and closes at 11.30 in the night. Don’t feel sad, if you don’t want to have a brunch, there are ample of café’s options available, you can grab a bite from there, as they remain open throughout the day. Apart from Spanish food, the sea Food is quite famous in the city. If you are in the mood of some mouth-watering seafood, you ought to try out in Madrid. You definitely will have an unforgettable experience with food and nature in Madrid.
Not only Food and nature, Madrid is also active in sports. The sports that are played are Football, basketball, cycling tennis etc. The main attraction is the Bullfight that held every year in month of March and October. It attracts lots of tourist as it host the largest bullring in whole Spain, Las Ventas that was established in 1929.
Indians for sure are going to have a great experience to take back home while travelling in Madrid. Also, they are going to explore the best of nature, food, art and culture.
So, what are you waiting for, get your walking shoes on and come explore the city, Madrid which surely has been drawn into your bucket list for ample of reasons now.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:
I am an Mba student, who loves to write in my spare time. Food and Travelling makes me happy like nothing else in life. I am a believer, dreamer and a reader. I am an enthusiast of wanderlust and want to die travelling. Feel free to contact me @ firstname.lastname@example.org. My only motto in life is Live, Laugh and Love…live it up!